FAQs - Travel Essentials

What am I covered for?
Our extensive travel insurance covers you in the event of having to cancel or cut short your trip, being delayed, missing your departure. You also have cover against medical costs, accident, loss and theft of personal belongings, personal liability, legal expenses and even the financial failure against third-party companies such as hotels or travel.

What is the age limit on the policy?
Insurance is available to anyone from the ages from 16 to 85. There are restrictions on the length of time you can travel if you are aged 65 or over on the date you buy a single trip policy.

Do you do multi-trip policies?
TravelEssentials4U is only available as a single trip policy.

Is there a cooling-off period?
If the cover is not suitable for you and you want to cancel your policy, you must write (by email or letter) to TravelEssentials4U travel insurance within 14 days of purchasing your policy, or the date you receive your policy.

Are there any excess fees?
Under most sections of the policy you must pay the first part of any claim. This applies to each person claiming and to each incident However, if you pay any extra premium, your policy can include an excess waiver, removing all excesses.

Is there any reason I am not allowed a policy?
You must have lived in the UK or the Channel Islands for at least six of the last 12 months before you bought or renewed your policy.

What do I do in the event of a medical or other emergency?
We will help you immediately if you are ill or injured outside the home area you live in as well as provide a 24-hour emergency service 365 days a year. You can contact us on: +44 (0) 207748 0521 or by faxing: +353 91 501619. If you are in the USA and need to see a doctor, please contact us 24 hours a day and we will make the necessary arrangements on your behalf.

Is there anything else I need to know about making a medical claim?
If you receive medical treatment for an injury or illness, you must get a medical certificate that details the injury or sickness and of any bills you have paid. If you are likely to be in hospital for more than 24 hours, someone must contact us on your behalf.

Is there anything else I need to know about making a property claim?
We pay these claims based on the value of the items at the time you lose them, unless it says otherwise in your policy. This ensures you get back all of the money you paid for the item.

Is there anything else I need to know about claims for a cancelled trip?
You must tell the carrier, holiday company or travel agent immediately if you know the trip will be cancelled, so you lose as little as possible. If you do not tell the above as soon as you find out the trip has been cancelled we will only pay the cancellation charges due at the date you found out about the cancellation, not from the date you tell them.

Is there anything else I need to know about making a claim for delayed baggage/losing or damaging baggage, money or personal belongings?
You must tell the relevant transport company if your personal belongings are delayed, lost, stolen or damaged. You must also get a property irregularity report (PIR) from the transport company. If you do not tell the airline or transport company within three days of the event we may not be able to pay your claim. If you lose any money or personal belongings, or if they are stolen you must report this to the police (and hotel management if this applies). You must also get an official written report from the police, airline, transport company etc. If you do not tell the police or relevant company within 24 hours, then we may not be able to pay your claim.

Are there any medical reasons I cannot be covered or cannot claim?
We will not cover you for any medical condition or disability (pre-existing or otherwise) if: Your state of health is significantly worse than you told us. If you know you have a terminal condition. If you know you will need medical treatment during your trip. If you are travelling against the advice of a medical practitioner or you are not fit to travel on your journey. If you are on a medical waiting list.

Are there any other reasons I cannot claim?
You need to take all reasonable care to protect yourself and your belongings. We will not pay for any claim resulting from you being involved in any malicious, reckless, illegal or criminal act. No section of this policy will apply in respect of any claim arising directly or indirectly from using drugs (unless the drugs have been prescribed by a doctor) or where you are affected by any sexually transmitted disease or infection. We do not expect you to avoid alcohol consumption on your trip but we will not cover any claims arising because you have had so much alcohol that your judgment is seriously affected.

What is the period I am covered for?
Your holiday or journey must begin and end in your home area. Cover cannot start after you have left your home area. Cancellation cover starts from the date you book your trip or pay the insurance premium, whichever is the later. All other sections commence when you leave your usual place of residence or business, or from the start date shown on your policy schedule (whichever is the later), to commence the journey until the time you return to your usual place of residence or business on completion of your journey, or the end of the period shown on your policy schedule (whichever is the earlier). Cover cannot start more than 24 hours before your booked departure time or end more than 24 hours after your return.

What are the geographical destination areas?
Area 1: England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Isle of Man.

Area 2: Europe: Excluding countries listed in Area 3.

Area 3: Spain (including the Balearic Islands), Canaries, Turkey, Cyprus, Malta.

Area 4: Worldwide excluding USA, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean.

Area 5: Australia and New Zealand only.

Area 6: Worldwide including USA, Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean.

How do I make a claim?
If you need to make a claim please obtain a claims form by phoning or writing to the claims service below within 31 days or your return, quotingTravelEssentials4U, and under what section you are claiming under. Alternatively, you can register your claims online by downloading a claims form and accessing a comprehensive list of FAQs to help with the claims process.

Reactive Claims Ltd
Attwood House,
Mansfield Business Park,
Four Marks, Hampshire,
GU34 5PZ

Phone: +44 1420 383014

Email: info@reactiveclaims.com